As Kylie Jenner famously said: 2016 is the year of "realising stuff". And while many might save the reflections for the month of December (usually post-Christmas, when the task of making New Year's resolutions looms), I've been thinking a lot lately about this year; what I've learnt, the experiences I've had and ultimately, a few realisations (some significant, some not) that have dawned on me.
So during one of many sleepless nights this past week, I started to note a few of them down and decided to share them here, with you. Maybe you can relate to one or two, perhaps it will inspire you to think about what you yourself have learned in the last 11 months or so.
1. For the crime that is attraction to guys who are unavailable/not good for me/emotionally incapable of a relationship (or all of the above), I am a repeat offender (3 times in one year and I'm still not sure I've learnt my lesson).
2. Sweet & salty popcorn is as essential to my daily life as caffeine.
3. Comparison really IS the thief of joy.
4. It's totally okay not to have your shit together sometimes, even when it feels like everyone else has. Trust me - they don't.
5. Ibiza is as wild and wonderful as everyone says it is.
6. I should avoid long-distance driving at all costs (unless I want another near-death experience on the M6).
7. More than a few weeks in one place gives me irritably itchy feet. I need to travel and explore regularly in order to be truly happy.
8. I will never fully understand the UK tax system.
11. Being self-employed is HARD, draining, often lonely and yet also one of the most rewarding lifestyles you can experience.
12. Despite the blood, guns and violence, I could definitely be Jax Teller's girlfriend.
13. The best opportunities occur just outside of your comfort zone.
14. Distance is no obstacle when it comes to true friendships.
13. Deciding to love and appreciate your body for what it is capable of, rather than for what it looks like, will make you eternally happier and more confident.
14. Holland & Barrett, Whole Foods and individual health food shops do more damage to my bank account than any other retailer.
15. Everything happens for a reason (a life realisation, not solely exclusive to 2016).
16. Life is short and fragile. Buy the plane ticket, eat the cake, kiss the guy (or girl) and never be afraid to do anything that makes you happy.
With 7 weeks left of the year, I have no doubt that a few further realisations will come to light. But hats off to Kylie, she knew it before it had even begun.
What about you? I'd love to hear what you've realised in 2016!